Thursday, March 29, 2012

Error when trying to setup replication

I am trying to setup replication on my server, but was getting an error that said:

"The Distributor is not available Error 6. Specified SQL Server not found"

So, I did some searching and found a couple things to check and found

sp_helpserver...the server with id of 0 was a remote server, not the local server instance...and

select @.@.servername also returned the name of that remote server!!

I'm assuming this is my problem, but how did it get this way and how do I fix it?

ThanksOk, I fixed the @.@.servername issue with:

use master
go
exec sp_dropserver 'incorrect server name'
go
exec sp_addserver 'servername','local'
go

Restart sql server service.

sp_helpserver now lists the local server as id of 0 and @.@.servername returns the correct server.

HOWEVER, the same error is there for replication?!?!

There is an entry in sp_helpserver for this:

repl_distributor repl_distributor rpc,dist,rpc out,use remote collation 6 NULL 0 0

Not sure if that helps with anybody trying to help me but anyway...|||Can you describe how you setup the Replication? At which step you get the error and how did you prepare your db server?|||Thanks for the help.

I did not do anything except for click on the server instance->Tools->Wizards and then click Replication->Configure Publishing and Distribution Wizard

I'm new to this server. It appears it has been messed with before but I cannot give you the details of that.|||Joe,

I was able to get it working. For those that find this post, here is what I did.

First, using the commands above, make sure your server is iniitally setup correct!

Next, I disabled publishing on the local server. Tools->Replication->Publishing

Next, I then configured the distributor for the local server. Tools->Replication->Configure Publishing, Subscribers and Distribution

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment