Thursday, March 29, 2012

Error when upsizing Access 2K Database

When I try to upsize an Access 2K database, I get the following two errors,
one after the other:
SQL Server does no exist or access denied.
The Upsizing Wizard only works with MS SQL Server (Versions 6.50 SP5 or
higher). Please log onto a SQL Server data source.
I doesn't matter whether I login as 'sa' or use a trusted connection, create
a new database or use an existing one, or use '(local)' or the name of my
computer as the server name. If trying to use an existing database, I am
using a File Data Source that appears to work just fine elswhere (test
connection returns success, and I can import/link tables in an Access
database). I have read the KB article that says to use a file DS, but that
hasn't helped. I have even tried a machine DS, but same errors.
I am the dbo of the existing database, and I and the sa account should have
database create priviliges. I can create databases and tables in SQL
Enterprise manager just fine.
I get these same two errors if I try to create a new adp file and selecting
New Database. I am using XPPro and Office XP Developer Edition.
Thanks.You might find this page helpful troubleshooting the upwiz:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/a...0894261033.aspx
FWIW, the upsizing wizard does not do a very good job of migrating
from Access/Jet to SQL Server even when it does work. It creates an
unholy mess of triggers, views and inefficient data type conversions.
You'd be better off recreating the schema in SQL Server to take
advantage of SQLS features like constraints and stored procedures, and
then migrate the data using DTS or even queries from linked tables.
--Mary
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:21:06 -0700, "Fred Yarvin" <Fred
Yarvin@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I try to upsize an Access 2K database, I get the following two errors,
>one after the other:
>SQL Server does no exist or access denied.
>The Upsizing Wizard only works with MS SQL Server (Versions 6.50 SP5 or
>higher). Please log onto a SQL Server data source.
>I doesn't matter whether I login as 'sa' or use a trusted connection, creat
e
>a new database or use an existing one, or use '(local)' or the name of my
>computer as the server name. If trying to use an existing database, I am
>using a File Data Source that appears to work just fine elswhere (test
>connection returns success, and I can import/link tables in an Access
>database). I have read the KB article that says to use a file DS, but that
>hasn't helped. I have even tried a machine DS, but same errors.
>I am the dbo of the existing database, and I and the sa account should have
>database create priviliges. I can create databases and tables in SQL
>Enterprise manager just fine.
>I get these same two errors if I try to create a new adp file and selecting
>New Database. I am using XPPro and Office XP Developer Edition.
>Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment