Friday, February 24, 2012

Error trying to backup a database

New to SQL Server, have never backed up a database before, in any DB system.
I am following a set of instructions that spell out how to copy a source db
and then copy it to a target db. Steps:
1) log onto server
2) start SQLServer Enterprise Manager
3) select source db and then Tools->Backup Database
Here's where my questions lie - The correct db shows, I have Back-up
Database-Complete selected, and Backup to disk. There is one destination
identified from an earlier backup. I tried creating a new destination, but
when I click OK, I get the error "The volume on device {my new destination
name} is not part of a multiple family media set. BACKUP WITH FORMAT can be
used to form a new media set"
I don't see an option for BACKUP WITH FORMAT.
I thought of trying to use the existing destination, but I'm not sure
whether to append or overwrite it. I am trying to get a full copy to put
into a test db.
Help!
Hi,
Best recommendation is to Overwrite the media after taking a copy of exiting
file. If you append the file it will be tough while restoring.
See the BACKUP DATABASE and BACKUP LOG command in books online.
Thanks
hari
SQL Server MVP
"Joe" <Joe@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DFB464EC-CF3A-4C98-B9A9-E5711BF13EF5@.microsoft.com...
> New to SQL Server, have never backed up a database before, in any DB
> system.
> I am following a set of instructions that spell out how to copy a source
> db
> and then copy it to a target db. Steps:
> 1) log onto server
> 2) start SQLServer Enterprise Manager
> 3) select source db and then Tools->Backup Database
> Here's where my questions lie - The correct db shows, I have Back-up
> Database-Complete selected, and Backup to disk. There is one destination
> identified from an earlier backup. I tried creating a new destination,
> but
> when I click OK, I get the error "The volume on device {my new destination
> name} is not part of a multiple family media set. BACKUP WITH FORMAT can
> be
> used to form a new media set"
> I don't see an option for BACKUP WITH FORMAT.
> I thought of trying to use the existing destination, but I'm not sure
> whether to append or overwrite it. I am trying to get a full copy to put
> into a test db.
> Help!
>
|||Thanks, Hari
Um, where are the online books located?
Joe
"Hari Prasad" wrote:

> Hi,
> Best recommendation is to Overwrite the media after taking a copy of exiting
> file. If you append the file it will be tough while restoring.
> See the BACKUP DATABASE and BACKUP LOG command in books online.
> Thanks
> hari
> SQL Server MVP
>
> "Joe" <Joe@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:DFB464EC-CF3A-4C98-B9A9-E5711BF13EF5@.microsoft.com...
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment