Friday, February 24, 2012

Error trying to design script (Script Component)

Hi everybody:
Maybe somebody around here can help me out with this one.
I applied SQL Server 2005 SP 2 to my local environment (win 2003 server) about two weeks ago week and last week I noticed an error when I tried to edit the script components of some previously created packages.
I am not 100% sure that SP 2 is the cause but that's the only thing that has changed recently.

Well, this is my error:
I click on the "design script" button of any package that was built before patching my sql server and I get an error message telling me that the "Visual Studio for Applications editor cannot be shown" and, of course, Visual Studio won't open.
I've tried creating new test packages with script components and they seem to work fine so this is only happening with older pacakges.

I'm appending below the error message that I get when I click on the technical details button of the error dialog box that I get.

I can see that the something is going on when generating/retriveing the GUID for the script. I tried cutting and pasting the component and that didn't work. If I delete the script component and create a new one, I am able to open VSA and I notice on the project explorer tab of VS that my old ScriptComponent project is there. So, the project explorer shows two projects: one with the default ScriptMain class and one with the previously worked ScriptMain that was never lost. When I close VSA, I get the error dialog box. If I try to design the script again, it won't open.

Well, I hope anybody here has a clue if this is a bug with SP 2 or if there is workaround without having to re-install either SQL server 2005 or VS .NET 2005 to see if the error is gone.

Thanks,
Alonso

===================================

Cannot show Visual Studio for Applications editor. (Microsoft Visual Studio)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%u00ae+Visual+Studio%u00ae+2005&ProdVer=8.0.50727.42&EvtSrc=Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.DataFlowUI.SR&EvtID=CouldNotShowVsaIDE&LinkId=20476

===================================

Engine returned Unknown Error (Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.VsaEngine.LoadSourceState(IVsaPersistSite Site)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.VSAHosting.DesignTime.LoadEngineSource(String engineMoniker, String project)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ScriptDesignTime.CreateDesignTimeEngine(String projectName, Boolean loadSource, ICodeGenerator codeGenerator)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ScriptComponentHost.ShowIDE()
at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.DataFlowUI.ScriptUI.propPage_DesignScript(Object sender, EventArgs args)

===================================

A project with the name 'ScriptComponent_56e278ce61c7453580a57df39d4765bf' already exists.

Program Location:

at Microsoft.Vsa.IVsaEngine.LoadSourceState(IVsaPersistSite site)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.VsaEngine.LoadSourceState(IVsaPersistSite Site)You're not the only one with un-editable script components (here is the thread http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1270413&SiteID=1) . Quite a few others are experiencing this issue (uneditable script component on SP2 for components created prior to SP2). Now, what's interesting, if I may term it that, is that your local environment is win2k3, whereas I've seen it on XP x86. Personally been in contact with Microsoft for over two weeks trying to get this resolved. If you want to call up PSS as well and send them sample packages, perhaps that would help add more data points to the investigation, and get this resolved.|||Thanks for your reply. I'll try to open a ticket with PSS today.
I'll follow the activity in your thread and give an update if any progress has been made.|||

Alonso Villanueva wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to open a ticket with PSS today.
I'll follow the activity in your thread and give an update if any progress has been made.

What operating system are you on?

There is already a hotfix for Vista, if that's your situation.|||This is my local environment configuration:

Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition SP1
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP1
SQL Server 2005 SP2
Microsoft .NET Framework v2.0.50727

Unfortunately it's not Vista :(

Like I said before. I'll try to have Microsoft PSS contacted today.

Thanks,
Alonso|||After reading the http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1270413&SiteID=1 thread, I tried opening my Script Component from a Windows 2003 server and I was able to edit it there, but not from my XP workstation. Both have SQL Server SP2 installed.|||

Windows XP, MS SQL Server 2005 SP2. I got this one after clicking 'Design Script...' in Script Transformation. Script Task swallows an error and does nothing at all. Tried to apply all solutions mentioned on this forum, however nothing helped. Could MS Guys eventually fix this?

===================================

Cannot show Visual Studio for Applications editor. (Microsoft Visual Studio)


For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%u00ae+Visual+Studio%u00ae+2005&ProdVer=8.0.50727.42&EvtSrc=Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.DataFlowUI.SR&EvtID=CouldNotShowVsaIDE&LinkId=20476

===================================

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {3089D50C-DDAC-4743-9FBF-C15743A32161} failed due to the following error: 800736b1. (Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.DT)


Program Location:

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.Dt.VsaEngine.CreateEngine()
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.VsaEngine.CheckEngine()
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.VsaEngine.set_RootMoniker(String value)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.VSAHosting.DTEngines.Create(String moniker, String language, IDTEngineEvents engineEventsHandler)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ScriptDesignTime.CreateDesignTimeEngine(String projectName, Boolean loadSource, ICodeGenerator codeGenerator)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ScriptComponentHost.ShowIDE()
at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.DataFlowUI.ScriptUI.propPage_DesignScript(Object sender, EventArgs args)

|||

Could this be the issue you are facing: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1855810&SiteID=1 ?

Have you installed any .NET update recently?

Thanks,

Bob

|||The solution described there is to install SP2. As I mentioned I already have SP2 installed.|||

I am sorry -- I missed that. I will ask around if anybody has an idea.

Thanks,

Bob

|||

Hi Alonso,

Can you take a look at the scripts in that offending package and make sure there are no 2 script components with that same name (ScriptComponent_56e278ce61c7453580a57df39d4765bf). You can open the .dtsx file in notepad or any other text viewer and search for that text. If that is the case you can either remove one of those script components and re-add it which will generate it with an unique name. Pre SP2 we had some problems with using copy/paste operation on script tasks or script components that will cause problems at run time by generating scripts with the same name for both the source and the destination of the copy/paste operation.

As an workaround you can try doing a copy/paste on the offending component and then remove the source component of the copy/paste operation on a machine with SQL Server SP2 installed. That should change it's name with an unique one but make sure to rebuild the new component by opening it in the designer and closing it.

Let me know if that worked for you.

Thanks,

Silviu Guea [MSFT], SQL Server Integration Services

|||

I'm having the exact same problem as Alonso. I have SQL Server 2005 SP2 installed (in part as an attempt to fix this problem) and I've searched the code to ensure that there are no script components with the same ID (there were no duplicates). I do have two packages in the same project, and I checked the other package to see if it used the same ID (it didn't).

Please Help!

|||

We are having similar issues with the "Design Script" button in a Script Task. We get an error when clicked and it leads to an "Interface not registered" error in the detail text.

So far we have followed a number of dead end fixes (registering DLLs, tracking registry/file activity with regmon and file mon, looking for duplicate entries in the GAC, etc...).

One of our developers is dead in the water until this is resolved.

Anyone else get further?

Halvo

|||

To add more details to my specific problem: the problem also occurs with packages that have been created with both pre SP2 and post SP2 SQL Server 2005. Steps to create the problem are:

1. Create a new package, and create a data flow task

2. Add a new flat file connection manager and flat file source

3. Add Transformation type Script Component

4. Make connection between flat file source and Script Component

5. Edit Script Component node; check a couple of fields to reference as read only fields in the script

6. Click Design Script button. I end up in "Module1", but select the actual ScriptComponent_xxxxxxx ScriptMain from the Project Explorer

7. Save, and exit. A popup appears that says "Cannot show Visual Studio for Applications editor. Additional Information: A project with the name 'ScriptComponent_xxxxxxx' already exists" (same GUID as seen in the project explorer in step 6 - but it already exists because it was created as a result of designing the script! It's not a duplicate)

8. Subsequent attempts to click the Design Script button will now fail with the message:

Cannot show Visual Studio for Applications editor. Additional Information: The operation could not be completed (Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa)

Program Location:

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Vsa.VsaEngine.set_Name(String value)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ScriptDesignTime.CreateDesignTimeEngine(String projectName, Boolean loadSource, ICodeGenerator codeGenerator)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ScriptComponentHost.ShowIDE()
at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.DataFlowUI.ScriptUI.propPage_DesignScript(Object sender, EventArgs args)

Incidently, you can create a new Script Task and access the VSA GUI as in step 6 above, but again you can only do this once before the same error occurs.

I really wanted to use the script component for my application but I'm running short on time for my project and will have to use an ugly workaround if I can't solve this soon.

Any help is much appreciated - I'm running out of ideas here!

Scottie

No comments:

Post a Comment