Sunday, February 26, 2012

error trying to start new maintance plan

I have a SQL2K5 cluster and I have what I believe is a valid setup but I am
now getting the following error/warning when I try to start the maintenance
wizard or start a new maintenance plan. I have installed workstation tools
on both.
I have Windows 2003 64bit SQL2K5 SP1 with all current patches.
I am new to Clusters as well as SQL2K5 so I may be missing something.
Any guesses?
error message details below.
===================================
The action you attempted to perform on a remote instance of SQL Server has
failed because the action requires a SQL Server component that is not
installed on the remote computer. To proceed, install SQL Server 2005
Management Tools on the remote computer, and then try again. For more
information, see "How to: Install SQL Server 2005 (Setup)" in SQL Server
2005 Books Online, or find the article on MSDN at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=57083 . (ObjectExplorer)
For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=57083
Program Location:
at
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance .MaintDesignerMenuHandler.Invoke()
One of the "improvements" for SQL 2005 is that the client tool installer is
not cluster aware. You have to run the installer on each cluster node and
add the client tools. Personally, I do this as a first step before
installing the cluster-aware components rather than as a folllow-on
activity.
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
"Wayne" <watkinson@.sd43.bc.ca> wrote in message
news:%232fESGxRHHA.3948@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I have a SQL2K5 cluster and I have what I believe is a valid setup but I am
>now getting the following error/warning when I try to start the maintenance
>wizard or start a new maintenance plan. I have installed workstation tools
>on both.
> I have Windows 2003 64bit SQL2K5 SP1 with all current patches.
> I am new to Clusters as well as SQL2K5 so I may be missing something.
> Any guesses?
> error message details below.
> ===================================
> The action you attempted to perform on a remote instance of SQL Server has
> failed because the action requires a SQL Server component that is not
> installed on the remote computer. To proceed, install SQL Server 2005
> Management Tools on the remote computer, and then try again. For more
> information, see "How to: Install SQL Server 2005 (Setup)" in SQL Server
> 2005 Books Online, or find the article on MSDN at
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=57083 . (ObjectExplorer)
> --
> For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=57083
> --
> Program Location:
> at
> Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.DatabaseMaintenance .MaintDesignerMenuHandler.Invoke()
>
>
|||Thanks Geoff, but I have installed on both and now I am wondering if this is
a problem with SP1 as I am getting some hits on google for similar
problems...
"Geoff N. Hiten" <SQLCraftsman@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:OkyQMMxRHHA.3996@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> One of the "improvements" for SQL 2005 is that the client tool installer
> is not cluster aware. You have to run the installer on each cluster node
> and add the client tools. Personally, I do this as a first step before
> installing the cluster-aware components rather than as a folllow-on
> activity.
> --
> Geoff N. Hiten
> Senior Database Administrator
> Microsoft SQL Server MVP
>
>
> "Wayne" <watkinson@.sd43.bc.ca> wrote in message
> news:%232fESGxRHHA.3948@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
|||Doh, I didn't install Intigration Services! Once I installed them, things
worked as they should.
Error messages were misleading
"Wayne" <watkinson@.sd43.bc.ca> wrote in message
news:e1PGNgxRHHA.3412@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Thanks Geoff, but I have installed on both and now I am wondering if this
> is a problem with SP1 as I am getting some hits on google for similar
> problems...
>
> "Geoff N. Hiten" <SQLCraftsman@.gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:OkyQMMxRHHA.3996@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>

No comments:

Post a Comment